Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hook Lighthouse

I mentioned in my last outfit post that last month we visited Wexford and Hook Lighthouse. I wanted to share some photos as it's such an amazing structure and location. It's been a long time since I've visited a lighthouse, so this was a real treat. As I have mentioned before, my grandfather on my mother's side was a lighthouse keeper and so of course every time I see a lighthouse, I am reminded of him. 


WW1 WW5 WW6 WW7 WW8 WW9 WW10 WW11 WW12 WW13 WW14 WW15 WW16 WW17 WW19 WW20 WW21 WW22


Hook is the world's oldest operational lighthouse, the tower was built by a knight named William Marshal between 1210 and 1230. However as early as 500 a.d. monks at the monastery at Churchtown kept a beacon on the peninsula to warn sailors of the dangerous rocks. The tower was then restored in the 1670's and into the 1700's when it came into the possession of the Loftus family (more on those guys in another post). In 1791 the coal fire was replaced with a lamp that burned whale oil. 

During the 1800s, the tower was handed over the the corporation, the houses were built for lighthouse keepers and their families and three red bands were painted on the tower that were later changed to the two black bands seen today. In 1871 gas lights were installed and then paraffin oil became the source of power. 

Throughout the 1900s many changes came to the tower including the changing of a fixed light to a flashing one which was powered by a clockwork mechanism. Then in 1972 they finally switched the light to be run by electricity. 1996 was a sad year as after 800 years, the lighthouse became automated and all the lighthouse keepers were no longer needed. 

Obviously that is a very brief history of a building that has been around for such a long time. Walking up the steep, narrow, winding stairway, it was hard to believe the history that those steps had seen. It's difficult to imagine that it was someone's job to walk up and down those stairs and maintain the light. Countless lives were saved because that light was there all those years, what an important job the lighthouse keepers had. I have such a great admiration for my grandfather working as a lighthouse keeper for years all over the country, I can't help but smile every time I see one.

I'll have part two of my trip for you later in the week.

Emma x




14 comments:

  1. Hello, dear Emma! You have every right to be proud of your grandfather's important and exciting occupation. Dripping with history, the Hook Lighthouse is a bold, majestic and beautiful structure. Thank you for giving an outline of its history. Imagine the ferocious storms the light tower has witnessed and all the ships it has saved in the centuries it has stood guard over the coastline. I would have loved to join you and Donnacha as you climbed the stairs and explored it. As usual, the photographs you and he took are brilliant.

    Good night to you, dear friend Emma. I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I know you would have loved to see this lighthouse in person, sometimes I forget about all the great places Ireland has to offer, we have so much history, it's great to learn more about it bit by bit!

      Delete
  2. What an incredible piece of history and a lovely way to remember your grandfather as well. Visiting a site that has been around for that long and undoubtedly played a role in the lives of many must've given you a moment to reflect and contemplate on how important the lighthouse must've been and how it has withstood the test of time. I love your sunglasses and dress as well in the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, it really is such a great piece of history, it makes me want to explore Ireland even more!

      Delete
  3. How often I find myself saying, "I love lighthouses". Such stunning photos and I appreciated that you added some history about it. I am wondering if you have any old photos of your grandfather while he was at "work". I would have loved to have heard some of your grandfather's stories. One wish I have is to spend the night in a light house. Also, I am impressed with the size of the structure.

    Thank you for sharing this with us, Emma! Also, it was great to hear from you and thank you so much ... I will write again later. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy you've reminded me to ask my mother for photographs of him,I'd love to do a post about him and include photos, I know we do have some at home! Hoping to hear from you soon!x

      Delete
  4. I so enjoyed this post. Photos 9 & 10 are so intriguing. I loved the short, yet effective history lesson. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loura, I'm glad you liked the little bit of history, I enjoyed learning about it!

      Delete
  5. Love your post! So interesting!
    -Your newest follower

    Letters from The Vintage Club

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so lovely!!! I hope you're doing well!!! XO!!

    love, polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Polly, I am well, hope you are too and that you're adjusting to NY well! :)

      Delete
  7. Totally unrelated to this great post but BEEMO! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very observant! Yes, Beemo! Love him!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...