Friday, October 25, 2013

Camera Talk

Today I want to talk about cameras for blogging. Unfortunately I don't have my own digital SLR yet although I am extremely lucky to have access to a Panasonic Lumix GH1 for taking all of my blog photos. My boyfriend bought it a few years ago for filming with and it's an excellent camera that I would fully recommend  to anyone interested and I've learned so much about photography through using it and figuring out all of the settings. It helps when you have your own personal expert on hand of course. However, I would love to some day invest in my own camera. As much as I love the Panasonic one, I do feel it's strengths lie in filming with rather than stills so I've been doing some research into the Canon and Nikon options on Jessops online store for my future camera investment.


The Canon 5D Mark III is the most recent in the 5D range and would be a dream to own but it a little out of my price range. 





The more affordable option would be to buy a body only as we already have 28mm and 50mm Canon lenses and you can always build on your collection later. The Canon EOS 7D would be ideal as the body is significantly less expensive than with the 18-35mm kit included. I've used the 7D for filming and stills and I absolutely loved using it. It takes the most beautiful photographs. 


Another more affordable option is the Nikon D3200. Again, you could pay very little for the body only, depending on what lenses you already have, or invest in a kit with the 18-55mm VR lens and a Tamron 70-300mm lens so that you would have a lot of options. 



If you wanted to invest in Nikon, another possible option that wouldn't break the bank would be the D7000 with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit.  I would be a lot less familiar with Nikon, although I have used my friends Nikon for stills and I did find it was quite easy to adapt to it after working primarily with Panasonic and Canon cameras. 

I think it's a case of once you know what you're doing with one camera, it's fairly easy to work with any make or model. I know a lot of people have their favourite brands but after using a few different cameras I'm certain I could adapt to any brand. Being as passionate as I am about photography it's about time I started to save for my own camera. I look forward to doing more research and finally choosing the one I want to invest in. 

What camera do you use? Are you loyal to one brand?

Emma x



4 comments:

  1. I've got a Samsung NX210, which does a decent job most of the time, but then will start acting up and not take one decent shot in any setting - this might be my fault as I'm no expert in photography. I'm rather proud, though, that I quickly started dabbling other settings than the so called "smart" one wothout having a clue as to what anything meant ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of buying a new camera. This was really informative. Thanks

    http://emmabebeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my fiance's Canon 450d which is good but I desperatley need a lightbox as our new place isn't great on light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to get the Canon 5D Mark III but I agree with you, it's a bit out of my price range. My first Nikon DSLR was the D40 which was excellent for a beginner. I now use the Nikon D7000 with the 18-105mm lens, though I switch to 18-55mm for swatch pictures. I find the 18-105mm lens very heavy, which can make it difficult to focus unless you have very steady hands. It has lots of focus points which is a definite strength. The video functionality is a bit rubbish though, unless you have a fixed point of focus. I haven't tried any Canon DSLRs but I've been using Nikon for years and I have no complaints - I find their cameras are quite intuitive to use and I haven't experienced any issues with either I've owned. (Though I did recently drop one of my lenses and part of the plastic rim chipped off ... still works but not as well :p).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...